Okay, I have a complaint.  And it’s about your boy, John Cena.
By now you’ve read the headline, and you have no doubt put it all together.  But, before I get into it, let me clarify something.
I’m not one of those writers who takes every opportunity he can to bash John.  It’s not me, and to be honest, it’s been quite a while since I’ve went out of my way to criticize the man for anything.
By the same token, I also do not praise him at every turn.  It’s nothing personal, I just have not found many instances to pat him on the back, other than to say he has a lot on his shoulders, and he seems to be handling it all pretty well.  Often times, I don’t give my take on Cena, good or bad.
But, not this time.  This time, I have an opinion, and it’s not positive.
The fact is, so many fans rip John on a near daily basis for his lack of selling in a match, it’s become part of the “Cena sucks” routine that we have come to expect.  And as much as I hate to pile on top, I feel the need to add my voice to the eternally disgusted choir.
That’s me in the back, singing Baritone.
The reason for this occurred on this past Monday Night Raw, during John’s match against Alberto Del Rio.  We have seen these two square off before, and the bout itself was actually not bad.
The match did not begin on the air, as Raw went to commercial just before the bell rang.  When we returned to the program, Cena was taking an impressive backbreaker from Del Rio.
He then spent the next two minutes at a disadvantage, taking boots in the corner, a body slam, then a rear chinlock on the mat.
John was able to fight back to his feet, and hit Del Rio with a boot to the gut, then a few hard rights before both men went down from a double clothesline.
Cena gains some offense, now everything seems even, right?
But then Alberto catches Cena with a backcracker.  Forgetting for a moment that this was the finishing move for Carlito, we fully expect John to kick out of the pinfall, which he does.
After an awkward dropkick from Cena to Del Rio as he came off the top rope, we go straight to John’s comeback.
Two shoulder tackles, followed by the spinning backdrop.  Vintage Cena, as Michael Cole would say.
Here’s the part when the agitation sets in.
John’s ready for his usual “You can’t see me” fist drop, and as he stands there, he’s smiling. Smiling, talking to someone at ringside, really enjoying himself.
And showing no ill effects from Alberto’s two-minute attack.
Nothing.  Not once.
It’s at this point that some of you, after reading my little play by play, are shaking your heads wondering why I’m so upset over one moment in one match, that lasted no time at all.
After all, the Falls Count Anywhere bout between John and Alberto was very physical, very smash mouth, and both guys did everything they could to deliver.  Why single out one seemingly insignificant exchange?  Why not just let it go?
Because, for John Cena, who’s all about respect, to stand over Alberto Del Rio as if he never felt a thing, smiling like he just heard a great joke, just kills it for me.  Everything I saw in that match, up to that point, was all for nothing.  It was pointless.
Yes, he’s John Cena, the face of WWE, who will always come out on top, and has survived much tougher opponents than Del Rio.  But, again, as a fan, how am I supposed to take this match, or Alberto, seriously after that moment?
As if that was not enough, Jack Swagger, after submitting to a Texas Cloverleaf from Sheamus earlier in the night, is seen with his singlet on his shoulder, supposedly leaving the building. 10 minutes after his match.
So, Jack Swagger, just minutes after being locked in a move that causes so much physical pain that he is forced to tap out, is back on his feet, walking out of the arena.
Is Swagger, like Cena, a well conditioned, physical specimen, whose body is built to withstand the grueling punishment of a WWE ring, night in and night our for a large majority of the calendar year?
Yes, of course.  Without a doubt.
But, Jack couldn’t even limp on his way out?  Not even a little?
I’m ticked off over nothing.  Is that the general consensus?  Or do I have a point here?  Are my complaints legitimate?  Why get upset over it?
Because it’s bugging me to death, that’s why.  Because when I watch the WWE product, or any pro wrestling program for that matter, I expect the manufactured reality of the storyline to be adhered to every minute of every hour I’m watching.
A lot to ask?  Perhaps.
Yes, I understand how the business works.  Sheamus is the world champion, and he pins everyone he works.  That’s what the champ does.  I get that.  And, John Cena is John Cena.  He’s pinned just about everybody in the company.  I get that as well.
But, just because I know the deal, and grasp the fact that everything is predetermined, does not mean that I want it advertised to me.  I do not need to be reminded of the fact that what I’m seeing is not real.
Isn’t the whole point to watching the program to suspend your disbelief?  If only for a few hours?
The truth is, this is just one Raw, just another night.  Nothing earth shattering, nothing I can’t get over. And my frustration will surely pass eventually.
So, I will do my best to forget it and move on.  After all, it’s just me being trivial.
Right?